We are currently open for limited service. Visit our reopening page for more information. Express pickup service is still available.

Lightbulb logo
Directory of Community Services
A service of Carroll County Public Library

Organization Full Listing print

Truck Driving Training - CDL A and B  Email
Carroll Community College

1601 Washington Road
Westminster, MD 21157-6944

410-386-8100 - voice
410-386-8111 - fax
410-876-2419 - TTY/TDD

Office HoursMon-Thurs 8:30-7, Fri 8:30-4:30; Summer hours 6/15-8/14 Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30
Contact 1Karen Merkle
Vice President, Continuing Education and Training
410-386-8107 - voice
Contact 2Steven Berry
Director, Career and Continuing Professional Education
410-386-8145 - voice
sberry@carrollcc.edu
PurposeTo provide quality training for anyone interested in entering the transportation industry as a professional tractor trailer driver (Class A and B).
Service

This training is offered in partnership with Hagerstown Community College. All classroom and range sessions are held at 14527 Industry Drive, Hagerstown, Maryland 21742.

Commercial Vehicle Training Program Prerequisites (submitted before enrolling) 1. DOT 10 Panel Drug 2. DOT Physical 3. Driving Record (complete history but non-certified) 4. CDL Learner's Permit

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What number do I call for more information, registration and billing, orientation or intake interviews? 410-386-8100-Registration,Tuition Assistance and Billing 240-500-2453-Information, Orientation and Intake Interviews

Do I need a CDL Learner's Permit to enroll in the CDL-either A or CDL-B program? Yes, you must take the MVA's written test at a full service MVA location and obtain a MD CDL Learner's Permit with the appropriate endorsements. Note: You must have a valid, full MD driver's license (this does not include a Motorcycle License) to take the CDL test; you must be at least 18 years old to obtain a CDL license for intrastate travel, and 21 for interstate travel. The MVA will also require a DOT physical card.

What endorsements should I test for when obtaining my CDL Learner's Permit? You should be tested on following knowledge test/endorsements: CDL-A: General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combinations (Mandatory) CDL-B: General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Passenger (Mandatory)

MVA's CDL Learner's Permit test You will be required to provide your Department of Transportation Medical Card (DOT) and your Completed Physical Form signed by a doctor. Remember, you must have a current DOT Physical Card when you go to the MVA to take the LP test. You must have your CDL Learner's Permit with the appropriate endorsements to be eligible to enroll in either the CDL A or B Commercial Vehicle Training program.

Do applicants take drug screening? Yes, you will need to provide proof of passing a DOT 10 Panel drug screen before starting the class. DOT drug screens can be completed at the same provider you use for your DOT physical.

How many instructional (clock) hours are in each program? CDL-A: 60 hours (classroom)/220 hours (range/road): 280 total hours CDL-B w/Passenger 16 hours (classroom)/49 hours (class/range/road): 65 total hours

What is the typical student to instructor ratio? The program observes a 4:1 ratio in our CDL-A program and a 4:1 ratio in our CDL-B program (range/road).

When are classes held? All classroom and range are held at 14527 Industry Drive, Hagerstown, MD 21742 CDL A - Weekday sessions are held Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Weekend sessions are held Saturday and Sunday, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. CDL B - Weekend sessions are held on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Attendance Policy/ MVA Skills Testing Policy Professional drivers must be on time for work assignments and deliveries. A minimum of 90% attendance is required to receive a Certificate of Completion for the course. Rules for attendance are as follows:

**Attendance . If a student misses 20 hours of class time, the student receives a warning regarding absenteeism. . If a student misses 30 hours of class time, the student is dismissed from the program.

**Lateness Students are charged for actual missed time unless the absenteeism is habitual. If a student is late or tardy more than four times, student is charged for a full 8 hours of absenteeism.

DOT DRUG SCREEN AGREEMENT . I voluntarily agree to complete an examination Drug Screen test. . I understand that I must pass the drug screen test to participate in the program. . I further agree to and understand that the College can, at any time, require me to complete a drug screen test at no additional cost to me.

MVA Skills/Road Testing Policy The Commercial Vehicle Training program will arrange for up to two (2) Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Skills Tests as part of the course. If a student fails his/her second MVA skills test, and wishes to be tested again, he/she must register for a CDL refresher at a cost of $280 for four hours.

FeesCheck the website or call 410-386-8100
SubjectsAdult Education, Driver's License, Employment, Trucks, Vocational Training/Counseling
Last Updated30 October 2017