The Westminster Branch is currently closed for construction. This temporary closure is anticipated to last eight weeks and is required to ensure the safety of customers and staff. Please check back for updates.

Lightbulb logo
Directory of Community Services
A service of Carroll County Public Library

Organization Full Listing print

Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Ellicott City Station Museum Email
Howard County Department of Recreation & Parks

3711 Maryland Avenue
Ellicott City, MD 21043

410-313-1945 - voice

Contact 1Jake Feirson
Site Manager
410-313-2922 - voice
jfeirson@howardcountymd.gov
Contact 2Emily Mosher
Assistant Manager/Program Manager
410-313-0419 - voice
emosher@howardcountymd.gov
PurposeDesignated a National Historic Landmark in 1968, the Ellicott City Station is the oldest surviving railroad depot in America, and one of the oldest in the world. When built in 1831, it was the terminus of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's first 13-miles that ran from Baltimore to Ellicott's Mills, Maryland. The Railroad was named for its point of origin, Baltimore, and its intended destination, the Ohio River. While passenger service was offered from the start, the depot was originally built to handle freight. Passengers boarded at the Railroad Hotel across the street until the station was remodeled in 1857 to be a passenger terminus. Even before the station opened, Ellicott City is the site of many firsts including the B&O's inaugural trip from Baltimore to Ellicott's Mills that took place on May 22, 1830, using horse-drawn rail cars. Regular passenger service began on May 24. The B&O demonstrated its first steam locomotive, known as the Tom Thumb, at Ellicott's Mills in 1830. In the first year of operation, 80,000 passengers rode the train from Baltimore to Ellicott's Mills. Passenger service ceased at the station in 1949 and freight and express service continued until 1972. The station closed for good following Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and was saved by Historic Ellicott City, Inc., a group of local preservationists that opened the site as a museum. Today, the building is owned by Howard County Government and managed by the County's Department of Recreation & Parks' Heritage Program.
ServiceTaking guests back in time, the B&O Ellicott City Station Museum welcomes walk-in visitors Wednesdays through Thursdays, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Fridays through Sundays, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., features exhibits and a gifts shop, and offers guided group tours, summer camps, rental opportunities and much more activities throughout the year.
SubjectsChildren - Activities/Entertainment, Christmas - Displays/Events, Historic Sites, Museums, Trains, Volunteers - Needed
Last Updated29 July 2020